Jomsom & Muktinath Trek, full of delights and interesting journey on the pilgrimage trail of Hindu and as well Buddhist religions and also for interested trekkers, where you can observe age-old culture and custom based on ancient Hindu traditions. Beside its holy significant the scenery with its dramatic landscapes of wind swept valley, rivers, rolling hills and snow capped mountains is equally fascinating along with local old culture and way of life as it was for many past centuries. Jomsom & Muktinath trek leads you on old Trans-Himalayan Salt and Caravan route of Nepal and Tibet and India as well, for flourishing trade between the countries since past hundreds of years; the trade still exists with Tibet through Upper Mustang via Karo-la pass. On this adventure experience the walk into world’s deepest gorge of Kaligandaki River valley, located beneath towering world’s 10th highest Mt. Annapurna and 7th highest Mt. Dhaulagiri. Starting from scenic touristic Pokhara as the walks progress into high alpine hills to Ghorepani and Poon Hill, famous viewpoint hill for stunning sunrise over the panorama of snow capped mountains within world largest natural garden filled with beautiful rhododendron trees and bushes. Walk soon enters Kaligandaki River valley at Tatopani village, a place with hot spring and then heading higher towards Mustang dry zone of arid windswept terrain reaching charming villages of Tukuche-Marpha and Jomsom including Kagbeni the door to Upper Mustang and Tibet.
From Kagbeni entering into Tibetan Buddhism country to reach at holy Muktinath Temple premises, the word Muktinath comes from ancient Sanskrit means place for Liberty or Nirvana, where hundreds of Hindu and Buddhist pilgrims visits the sacred spot at Muktinath for religious rites, pray and offering. Muktinath the highest point of the trek at above 3,710 m / 12,171 ft high with geological wonder of meditations cave, ancient monasteries and the holy temple with 108 sacred water spouts, where a bathe cleanse the sin of hundred lifetimes a Hindu belief. From Muktinath with wonderful and enjoyable moment with grand views of Dhaulagiri-Tukuche and Nilgiris peaks, our return journey leads to Jomsom town for scenic short flight back to Pokhara and a drive to Kathmandu, on concluding a fabulous Jomsom & Muktinath trekking.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu 1,300 m / 4,264 ft and transfer to hotel.
On arrival at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, received by a representative of Remarkable Adventure Trek and then transfer you to your hotel around Thamel areas in the hub of the Kathmandu city. At the hotel, our guide and staff will provide information on dos and don’ts brief you with your programs on sightseeing and trekking with welcome dinner in an authentic Nepalese restaurant with folk culture program.
- Day 2 In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and tour preparation.
After breakfast, leave the hotel for a sightseeing tour around famous historical places of Kathmandu guided by Remarkable Adventure Trek City guide. Morning visit of following places starting with Kathmandu Durbar Square a UNESCO World Heritage Site of Nepal, where most of the buildings that you see dated from 15th to 18th Century. Main interesting is to witness “Kumari (The Living Goddess) Gar” “Kastha Mandap” Shiva ParvatiMaru Ganesh, MahShiva-ParvatiTemple, Bhagwati Temple, Old Palace, Saraswoti Temple, Krishna Octangular Temple, Big Drums, Kal Bhairav, Jagannath Temple, and Taleju Temple. Tour of Pashupatinath Temple, one of the main temples of the Hindu listed as world heritage site, situated on the bank of Bagmati River. Only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple premises, while others can view from the bank of Bagmati River, observe pilgrims and devotees worshipping and praying the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Tour of Bouddhanath, one of the holiest Buddhist sites of Nepal and has four pairs of eyes. Each represents eyes of Lord Buddha. Observe people from all religions going around this stupa and spinning prayer wheels, after an enjoyable and interesting tour back to hotel for dinner and trek preparation to Jomsom & Muktinath.
- Day 3 Drive to Pokhara 910 m / 2,989 ft -06 hrs of 220 k.m. distance.
Morning travel by private coach or in tourist bus (depending upon the size of the group) with an exciting overland drive on main Kathmandu to Pokhara highway, leading through Himalayan foothills, on reaching at Pokhara transfer to respective hotels by the beautiful Phewa Lake with afternoon free for short walks. (Options by Air 30 minutes scenic flight to Pokhara).
- Day 4 Drive to Nayapul 1,010 m and trek to Tikhedhunga 1,552 m / 5,091 ft -04 hrs.
Starting our wonderful walks towards Jomsom and Muktinath with about two hours drive to Nayapul and Bhirethati villages, located near the river Modi where our first day walk starts past several farm villages with scenic waterfalls then a short gradual climb for few hours to reach at Tirkhedhunga for overnight stop in the comfort of nice lodge after a wonderful and interesting walks of few hours.
- Day 5 Trek to Ghorepani village 2,750 m / 9, 022 ft - 06 hrs.
Morning starting with a climb to a series of stone steps for an hour to Ulleri village, a moderate size Gurung village of traditional Nepali hill with slated roofs. From here walk leads to a slow climb into pristine and cool rhododendron, pine forest area to reach Ghorepani village, located on a high ridge within beautiful rhododendron trees. Ghorepani village mostly inhabited by Poon of Magar tribe, a famous and popular place for Poon Hill view top an hour hike uphill.
- Day 6 Hike up to Poon Hill and trek to Tatopani 1,100 m - 06 hrs.
Early morning before sunrise hike to Poon Hill view point for stunning views of sunrise over range of mountains from world 7th highest Dhaulagiri-10th highest Annapurna with range of peaks includes world 8th highest Manaslu with towering Machhapuchare peak “Fish Tail”. After an exciting and marvelous time with memorable views from Poon Hill, return to Ghorepani and continue trek with long descend to Tatopani within green forest of rhododendron for an hour to Chitre and then descend into a gorge through cool forest to Tatopani for overnight stop. Tatopani village a low warm areas of semi-tropical temperatures the place with refreshing hot spring like its name as Tatopani.
- Day 7 Trek to Ghasa 2,110 m / 6,922 ft -05 hrs.
After a refreshing and enjoyable time at Tatopani walk leads following Kaligandaki river with views of south Nilgiri peaks, due to motorable road our walk leads away from the main road on the old trekking route to reach at Bhalebas after Dana, and then heading higher back into cooler areas full of alpine forest reaching at Ghasa a nice village of Thakali people and the starting point of Mustang district.
- Day 8 Trek to Tukuche 2,586 m / 8,484 ft -06 hrs.
From Ghasa walking by the Kaligandaki River upstream passing several farm villages and patch of woodland with scenic views of mountains that encloses the Kaligandaki valley forming world deepest gorge between world 7th highest Mt. Dhaulagiri with 10th highest Mt. Annapurna and range of peaks, walk continues reaching at Lete with views of Dhaulagiri peaks and its Ice Fall. Slowly arriving at Kalopani village a lovely place with coniferous forest and views of Annapurna-Nilgiri and Dhaulagiri range of mountains, from here walk leads towards windswept valley of Mustang to reach another gem of a village at Tukuche, located beneath the peak of Tukuche and Dhaulagiri, at Tukuche in a nice lodge with afternoon free to explore the village areas.
- Day 9 Trek to Kagbeni 2,810 m / 9,219 ft -05 hrs.
After pleasant and wonderful overnights at Tukuche village, famous for delicious apples and its home products also with grand views of Dhaulagiri, Tuckuche and NIlgiri peaks at close distance. Our morning walk leads along the Kaligandaki River to reach another charming village at Marpha with white washed houses and nice paved street, a short walk from Marpha reaching at Jomsom, the main town and headquarter of Mustang district with an airstrip with daily flights to and from Pokhara. From Jomsom, the trail leads on the Kaligandaki plains in the rainy season the road diverts to the right bank of the river plain, the walk is very pleasant with few ups and down most of the way to the place of Ekali Bhatti (lonely inn) where there is about five tea-houses or lodge at present. From here with two routes leading to Muktinath well the other one leads you to upper Mustang and Tibet via Kagbeni. Our trail leads past Eklai-bhatti towards North West, the walking gets much easier on the gradual winding route as the trail widen above the river bed towards Kagbeni for the overnight. Kagbeni a nice village similar to Tibatan culture, located on the starting and ending point of Upper Mustang area, on old Trans Himalayan Salt trade route of Nepal and Tibet.
- Day 10 Trek to Muktinath 3,710 m / 12, 171 ft - 04 hrs.
Today, a steep climb of few hours to reach holy areas of Muktinath, taking it slowly as Muktinath is at the height of 3,710 meter high, our highest spot of the trip, as our walk leads through interesting village of Jharkot, from Jharkot the trail climbs gradually for another hour to reach at Muktinath area. Muktinath, located between popular Annapurna Circuit trekking route from Manang via high pass of Thorang la the trail also joins here as well coming from upper Mustang region, in the auspicious time this place is flooded with pilgrims of both Hindu and Buddhist, a nice walk to the Temple of Muktinath and with its 108 water spout, which is also the source of Kaligandaki river. Superb views of Dhaulagiri, Tukuche can be seen from the campsite and as well from Muktinath itself including the Tilicho and Nilgiri peaks.
- Day 11 Trek Jomsom 2,715 m / 8,907 ft - 04 hrs.
Today end of the walk of this marvelous holy journey, morning walk starts on the same route to Jomsom town, on reaching Kaligandaki river valley with few hours walk to Jomsom for last overnight in a nice lodge or hotel. Jomsom area from Kagbeni to Larjung is famous for delicious apples and products cider, brandy and juice. Celebrate last night dinner with staff and other members.
- Day 12 Flight to Pokhara 22 min with sightseeing around Pokhara valley
Our last day of the journey around Jomsom and Muktinath concludes with short scenic flight to Pokhara a beautiful touristic city, overnight in Pokhara by the serene Phewa Lake, where Annapurna Himal reflects on its pristine calm waters. (Driving options which is about 6-7 hours via Beni town to Pokhara city from Jomsom)
- Day 13 From Pokhara drive to Kathmandu 1,345 m - 06hrs.
After a wonderful time up in the high mountains and hills, taking a morning driving journey back to Kathmandu, on reaching at Kathmandu after 5-6 hours of nice interesting drive and then transfer to your respective hotels with afternoon free for individual activities and shopping souvenirs. (Options by air 30 minutes flight back to Kathmandu with great views)
- Day 14 International departure for homeward bound.
Your last day in amazing Nepal country of Himalayan wonders, as per your flight time transfer for your international flight with fond memory and excellent time on Jomsom & Muktinath Trekking with great service of Remarkable Adventure.
Cost Information1. What's Includes
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private tourist vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a three-star hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara; Breakfast included.
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private tourist vehicle.
- Airfare from Jomsom –Pokhara including airport departure tax.
- All your standard Meals (Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners) during the trek.
- Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trek.
- Remarkable Adventure Treks’ local licensed holder English speaking guide.
- The required number of local staff and porters to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staffs.
- ACAP permits and TIMS permit for trekking.
- Down Jacket and sleeping bag by Remarkable Adventure Trek (which need to be returned after the trek).
- Surface transfer from and to Kathmandu.
- Free Remarkable Adventure Trek duffel/kit bag (yours to keep).
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu on second day.
- Farewell dinner in typical Nepali Restaurant with cultural show.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges and official expenses.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Items of a personal nature (personal trekking gear, beverages, the internet, laundry, bottled water, etc).
- Tips for trekking staff.
- Extra night accommodation (early arrival, late departures due to weathers, and any others reasons)
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
Date & Availability
Frequenty Asked Question's
Trip Equipment & Packaging List
For your trip preparations Remarkable Adventure Trek provides you with related information and advice required for your adventure holiday trip in and around Nepal Himalaya and beyond, providing you with following equipment list for the trekking. If it’s too much to carry from your home country some of the necessary equipment can be hired or bought in Kathmandu around at Thamel or in Pokhara as well. Most of the equipment is general and standard lists for all seasons while on the trek but may differ as per the season and duration of trekking and areas of your chosen trip.
- Sun hat or scarf.
- Light balaclava or warm fleece headgear.
- Sun Glasses and snow goggles with UV protection.
For Lower Body:
- Under Garments.
- Hiking shorts.
- Lightweight cotton long pants.
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms.
- Fleece or wool pants (seasonal).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants.
- Thin, lightweight inner socks.
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks.
- Hiking boots with spare laces.
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals).
- Gaiters for hiking in winter to the base camp.
For Upper Body:
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket or pullover.
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket.
- Down vest and/or jacket.
- Lightweight gloves.
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer (seasonal).
- Sleeping bag rated to zero DC (4 seasons down sleeping bags).
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries.
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag.
- Basic First Aid Kit.
- Large plastic bags – for keeping items dry inside your kit/duffel bag.
- Daypack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches / 10-15 liters / kgs capacity).
- Trekking Poles (optional).
- Water bottle (2) or cameo bag.
- Toiletries (Small wash towel, Toilet papers etc).
- Ear Plug (who know some people on a group are snoring) as optional.
- 1 medium sized quick-drying towel.
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable).
- Multipurpose soaps (preferably biodegradable).
- Nail clippers.
- Face and body moisturizer.
- Feminine hygiene products.
- Small mirror.
On Personal Hygiene:
- Wet wipes (baby wipes).
- Tissue /toilet roll.
- Anti-bacterial hands wash.
Extra Luxuries as optional:
- Reading book.
- Trail Map/Guidebook.
- Journal & Pen.
- Pen and small notebooks.
Travel game i.e. chess, backgammon, and scrabble.
Remarkable Adventure Trek operates and runs all high altitude treks and climbs with the support of our expert and veteran guides who has been in these profession for more than two decades, all our guide have undergone with much training and attending workshop on related fields every year like Medical Course with enough knowledge of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and proper use of Gamma Bag or Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) pressure bags when required on emergency purpose on high AMS symptoms and to work on minor medical problem treatments.
Causes of Altitude Mountain Sickness:
- Altitude mountain sickness is caused by reduced of air pressure with lower oxygen levels at high altitude.
- The faster you climb to a high elevation, more likely you will get altitude or acute mountain sickness (AMS).
- Difficulty in sleeps.
- Dizziness or light-headed.
- Loss of appetite.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Rapid pulse (heart rate).
- Shortness of breath with exertion.
- Altitude mountain sickness is easier to treat in the early stage.
- The main treatment for all forms of mountain sickness is to go down (descend) towards lower altitude as fast you can with support of our guide and staff.
- Extra oxygen should be given, if available.
- People with severe altitude mountain sickness should be admitted to a hospital or evacuated by any means of transportation the fastest is by Helicopter.
- Remarkable Adventure Trek suggests you Polyacrylamide (Diamox) because this medicine helps you to feel better if you are trekking in high altitude areas.
- It also helps you to reduce mild symptoms. This medicine works best when you take it before you start gaining much higher altitude. Beside our advice please consol with your doctor.
While climbing higher elevation:
- Drink plenty of fluids (water-plain black tea-lemon-tea or nutritional value drinks).
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat a lot of garlic’s (this is local way fighting altitude).
- You should avoid high altitudes if you have heart or lung disease.
Note: In case of emergency, you will be immediately airlifted by Helicopter to Kathmandu.
Nobody knows or cares about the safety of your group better than our trekking guides because they know how to cope with the unexpected situations that occasionally arise in the high altitudes of the Himalaya. In these situations, it is vital that trekkers are flexible and listen to the guides’ directions. The trip that you are on may be affected by weather, politics, or even wildlife. Whatever the factor may be, it is possible you may have some changes in your itinerary, as the seasoned guides of Remarkable Adventure Trek decide the safest option for you. If changes must be made to your trip, our guides will work hard to stick to your original itinerary as much as possible until the change becomes unavoidable. However, Remarkable Adventure Trek will not be responsible for an outcome, resulting from bad weather, wildlife, or political situation before, during, or post trip.
WHAT MAKES THIS TRIP DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
Trek Remarkable Adventure Trek works for social causes with some non-profit organizations of Nepal, concerned with environment conservation and preservation includes street children who need better education and good normal life. We help and support for the cause with some of our profits to certain organizations so that we can make street children with sound and better life when they grow up.
We believe that education and healthy children make more stable and better future of Nepal.
For donation, Sponsorship, and Volunteering, please contact to email@example.com
- Trekking on an old Salt Trade & Caravan Route of Nepal-India and Tibet.
- Views of high snow clad mountains on daily walks with dramatic landscapes scenery.
- Visiting Gurung-Magar and Thakali villages of immense Buddhist culture and custom.
- Enchanting lovely alpine woodland of tall rhododendron-magnolia-firs-pines and fir trees
Walk in between Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Himalayan range with incredible views.
- On scenic windswept Lower Mustang valley towards holy Muktinath areas.
What To Expect
- Accommodation Type
- Travel Strategy
Related Trips updating soon !!.