Makalu Base Camp Trek: On landing on the city of temples and monasteries visiting UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including old palace known as Durbar Square, and then fly to Tumlingtar towards Far East Nepal Himalaya, where a local drive involves to reach our trekking point at hill village in Num located on a high ridge with commanding views of surrounding beautiful landscapes and of Mt. Makalu. Num village, where our trek begins and ends, starting our Makalu Base Camp Trek leading past picturesque villages and lush mountain forests along a ridge line, then enter beautiful Barun valley within Makalu Barun National Park. Trek to Makalu Base Camp takes us towards steep ascent through forests and terraced farms, offering breathtaking views of high Himalayan panorama and also takes us into cool shade of lush alpine woodland with climb uphill to reach on top of a ridge at Khongma Danda. From here, heading towards Makalu Base Camp Trek as the walk progress with various interesting scenic features. During trek view of several peaks includes Chamlang (7321m), Peak VI (6,524m) and Peak VII (6,758m), includes rare East Face of Mt. Everest known as Khangsung face with Mt. Lhotse. The trek leads higher towards moraine and glacier to reach at Makalu Base Camp offering grand panorama of mountains and close to Baruntse peaks which surrounds you with world 5
During Makalu Base Camp Trek, view of several peaks includes Chamlang (7321m), Peak VI (6,524m) and Peak VII (6,758m), includes rare East Face of Mt. Everest known as Khangsung face with Mt. Lhotse. The trek leads higher towards moraine and glacier to reach at Makalu Base Camp offering grand panorama of mountains and close to Baruntse peaks which surrounds you with world 5th highest Mt. Makalu which towers above 8,463 m and 27, 766 ft high, truly a great rocky pyramid shaped mountain climb of great technical effort and difficulty. This wonderful adventure to Makalu Base Camp involves Shipton La (pass) and the Keke La two main passes to encounter the walk leads to Sherpa villages full of interesting Buddhist culture. After a marvelous walk into hidden areas of Makalu and Barun valley on the least trekked areas then we retrace our walk back to Num for exciting and scenic drive to warm Tumlingtar town, where we will take a panoramic sweeping flight to Kathmandu on completing a spectacular and marvelous Makalu Base Camp Trekking.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300 m /4,264 ft) and transfer to hotel.
On arrival at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, received by a representative of Remarkable Adventure Trek and then transfer you to your hotel around Thamel areas in the hub of the Kathmandu city. At the hotel, our guide and staff will provide information on dos and don’ts brief you with your programs on sightseeing and trekking.
- Day 2 In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
After breakfast, leave the hotel for a sightseeing tour around famous historical places of Kathmandu guided by Remarkable Adventure Trek City guide. Morning visit of following places starting with Kathmandu Durbar Square a UNESCO World Heritage Site of Nepal, where most of the buildings that you see dated from 15th to 18th Century.The major Interesting things to see here are “Kumari (The Living Goddess) Gar” “Kastha Mandap” Maru Ganesh, Mahadev Temple, Shiva-Parvati Temple, Bhagwati Temple, Old Palace, Saraswati Temple, Krishna Octangular Temple, Big Drums, Kal Bhairav, Jagannath Temple, and Taleju Temple. Tour of Pashupatinath Temple, one of the main temples of the Hindu listed as world heritage site, situated on the bank of Bagmati River. Only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple premises, while others can view from the bank of Bagmati River, observe pilgrims and devotees worshipping and praying the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Tour of Boudhanath, one of the holiest Buddhist sites in Nepal and has four pairs of eyes. Each represents eyes of Lord Buddha. Observe people from all religions going around this stupa and spinning prayer wheels. Rest of the day free preparation for Makalu Base Camp Trekking and with an early departure from the hotel for scenic short flight to Tumlingtar and onward.
- Day 3 Fly to Tumlingtar 448 m a scenic flight of 45 mins.
Makalu Base Camp Trekking adventure starting with 45 mins of scenic flight to warm areas of Arun valley at Tumlingtar, during flight grand panorama of mountains with Everest and Makalu, on reaching at Tumlingtar where you will join with our other crew members and porters for wonderful adventure to Makalu base camp. At Tumlingtar overnight in a nice local lodge, here climate of warm and semi-tropical, located high above Arun River, afternoon free to explore this interesting town / village.
- Day 4 Drive to Num 1,490 m - 04 hrs with afternoon free to explore.
From Tumlingtar starting the morning with a scenic interesting drive heading to the mid hills passing many farm villages and the large town of Khandbari, drive continues on the hill ridge rough dirt road leading higher to Chinchela village from here a long descend to Num village slowly turning into a town with the motor reaching this village few years back, at Num overnight in lodge or in tents with grand views of surrounding landscapes and peaks of Jalajala Himal and Makalu.
- Day 5 Trek to Seduwa 1,540 m- 05 hrs.
Today our first day walk starts with downhill and up to Seduwa village, a steep descend to the bridge over raging Arun River around this place quite tropical, and then with a climb towards farm fields and small villages of Runmura, here with lunch break and then with a gradual climb to reach overnight stop at Seduwa village, a small place with primary school and a health post with basic facilities with views of Num across the ridge and of other adjoining hills of Bhojpur and Jalajala rocky peaks.
- Day 6 Trek to Tashi Gaon 2,135m - 04 hours.
After Seduwa village, morning walk on undulating winding trail to Tashigaon a Sherpa village, the last village before Makalu base camp, walk leads through farm areas with nice terraces of millet, a major crops after rice and wheat’s of this area, and then for 3-4 hours of good trek reaching at Tashigaon for lunch and overnight camp with time to visit the local village around, which is quite interesting. The Sherpa of this area is quite different to Khumbu highlanders.
- Day 7 Trek to Kaungma Danda 3,556 m - 05 hours.
Leaving Tashi Gaon the last village for a week long, morning walk leads on gentle path into thick forest of rhododendron, oaks and tall pines trees passing many cattle herder’s temporary shelters of shades and stone huts after few hours of pleasant walk stopping for lunch on the grassy meadow and summer pasture ground. Afternoon walk with steep climb for few hours to reach at Kaungma ridge top, as the tall trees gives away for smaller rhododendron and juniper bushes and small birch trees. This high ridge offers excellent views of Kanchenjunga mountain range and of Mt. Makalu with adjoining peaks, from here in complete wilderness.
- Day 8 Trek to Mumbuk 3,553 m - 06 hours.
From Kaungma Danda morning walk on a ridge line following a gradual path with few ups and down reaching at icy ponds of Thulo Pokhari (big) with Sano Pokhari(small) after crossing Tutu-la and Shipton la at above 4, 453 meters passes, and then downhill back into forest with views of Khumbakarna Himal range of mountains towards north, overnight camp on a level ground in the middle of tall trees.
- Day 9 Trek to Nghe (Nehe Kharka 3,760 m - 05 hours.
Today walks leads to scenic Barun valley famous for rare species of vegetation- plants and herbs including wild-life, starting the morning with down-hill for an hour and crossing a small stream to reach Barun valley, walk with gentle up views of peaks on both side of the valley passing few Sheppard’s shelters with a small Buddhist Gompa (monastery), after a pleasant walk of 5 hours reaching at Nehe Kharka for overnight camp around Barun valley.
- Day 10 Trek to Shersong 4, 572 m - 05 hours.
From Barun valley walk to Shersong leading at the end valley near Makalu base camp leading on gentle uphill crossing streams with great views of Mt. Makalu and Baruntse peaks, after a nice walk of 5 hours reaching on our destination at Sheraton for two nights camps.
- Day 11 At Shersong for short hike above hills and view-points.
Rest and acclimatization day to soak with the views of Mt. Makalu, Baruntse peaks with peak IV, morning an optional hike for excellent views of Mt. Everest with rare East Face known as Kanshung faces with Lhotse.
- Day 12 Trek to Yangle Kharka 3, 598 m - 06 hours.
Retrace the journey back on the Barun valley to Yangle Kharka enclosed within high rocky cliffs with views of cascading waterfalls after a descend reaching the overnight camp at cow herders temporary summer grazing place at Yangle-Kharka.
- Day 13 Trek to Mumbuk - 05 hours.
After a wonderful time at Barun valley, walk leads past the valley with a climb to reach back into thick woodland at Mumbuk for overnight camp.
- Day 14 Trek to Kaungma Ridge - 05 hours.
On the same trail back to Khoma ridge morning walk with a climb for an hour or more through the forest on reaching the hill top ridge leaving the tree lines, and passing the ponds and over Tutu la and Shipton la reaching at Kaungma hill top for overnight camp.
- Day 15 Trek to Narbu Gaon 1,310 m via Tashi Gaon - 05 hours.
Morning walk on downhill path back into forest of tall tree lines to reach villages and farm fields, on reaching at Tashi Gaon taking a different higher route to Nawa or Narbu gaon village, through cool shade of woodlands and farm terraces and then reaching a large Sherpa village of Narbu Gaon on for overnight stop, with afternoon free to explore this nice farm village.
- Day 16 Trek to Num via Seduwa - 05 hours.
From Narbu Gaon our last day walk of this wonderful adventure leading downhill with few short up to Seduwa village, after a rest here continue descend on a steep path to Arun River, after crossing a bridge a steep climb for few hours to reach at Num village for last overnight around the high hills of Makalu.
- Day 17 Drive back to Tumlingtar - 04 hrs.
After a wonderful time on the high hills and mountains with farm villages, from Num taking an exciting drive on the rough road passing past villages with beautiful views of surrounding green hills and peaks, after few hours of drive reaching at Khadbari, a major town and headquarter of Sanka Sabha district of Makalu region. From here an hour downhill back to Tumlingtar in the comfort of a nice lodge.
- Day 18 Fly back to Kathmandu and transfer to respective hotels.
From Tumlingtar taking an early morning or mid day flight back to Kathmandu with views of mountain, at Kathmandu domestic airport our staff transfers you back to respective hotels with rest of the day free at leisure.
- Day 19 In Kathmandu free day with optional sightseeing tour.
Remarkable Adventure Trek reserves this day as contingency day in case of flight delay from Tumlingtar to Kathmandu, which might occur sometimes, as Himalayan weather pattern can be unpredictable with unfavorable heavy cloudy days, if all goes well as per the itinerary you can enjoy as free day for individual activities and shopping souvenirs or book for another interesting sight-seeing tour around Kathmandu-Patan and Bhaktapur.
- Day 20 International departure for homeward bound.
Your last day in amazing Nepal country of Himalayan wonders, as per your flight time transfer for your international flight with fond memory and excellent time on Makalu Base Camp Trekking and great service of Remarkable Adventure.
Cost Information1. What's Includes
- Airport/Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private tourist vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a three-star hotel in Kathmandu; Breakfast included.
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private tourist vehicle.
- All your standard Meals (Breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners) during the trek.
- Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trek.
- Remarkable Adventure Treks’ local licensed holder English speaking guide.
- The required number of local staff and porters to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staffs.
- Makalu Conservation Area entrance permit and TIMS permit for trekking.
- Down Jacket and sleeping bag by Remarkable Adventure Trek (which need to be returned after the trek).
- Airfare from Kathmandu–Tumlintar- Kathmandu including airport departure tax.
- Surface transfer from and to Kathmandu.
- Free Remarkable Adventure Trek duffel/kit bag (yours to keep).
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu on the second day.
- Farewell dinner in typical Nepali Restaurant with cultural show.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges and official expenses.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Items of a personal nature (personal trekking gear, beverages,internet, laundry, bottled water, etc).
- Tips for trekking staffs.
- Extra night accommodation (early arrival, late departures due to weathers, and any others reasons).
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
Date & Availability
Frequenty Asked Question's
Trip Equipment & Packaging List
For your trip preparations Remarkable Adventure Trek provides you with related information and advice required for your adventure holiday trip in and around Nepal Himalaya and beyond, providing you with following equipment list for the trekking. If it’s too much to carry from your home country some of the necessary equipment can be hired or bought in Kathmandu around at Thamel or in Pokhara as well. Most of the equipment is general and standard lists for all seasons while on the trek but may differ as per the season and duration of trekking and areas of your chosen trip.
- Sun hat or scarf.
- Light balaclava or warm fleece headgear.
- Sun Glasses and snow goggles with UV protection.
For Lower Body:
- Under Garments.
- Hiking shorts.
- Lightweight cotton long pants.
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms.
- Fleece or wool pants (seasonal).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants.
- Thin, lightweight inner socks.
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks.
- Hiking boots with spare laces.
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals).
- Gaiters for hiking in winter to the base camp.
For Upper Body:
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket or pullover.
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket.
- Down vest and/or jacket.
- Lightweight gloves.
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer (seasonal).
- Sleeping bag rated to zero DC (4 seasons down sleeping bags).
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries.
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag.
- Basic First Aid Kit.
- Large plastic bags – for keeping items dry inside your kit/duffel bag.
- Daypack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches / 10-15 liters / kgs capacity).
- Trekking Poles (optional).
- Water bottle (2) or cameo bag.
- Toiletries (Small wash towel, Toilet papers etc).
- Ear Plug (who know some people on a group are snoring) as optional.
- 1 medium sized quick-drying towel.
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable).
- Multipurpose soaps (preferably biodegradable).
- Nail clippers.
- Face and body moisturizer.
- Feminine hygiene products.
- Small mirror.
On Personal Hygiene:
- Wet wipes (baby wipes).
- Tissue /toilet roll.
- Anti-bacterial hands wash.
Extra Luxuries as optional:
- Reading book.
- Trail Map/Guidebook.
- Journal & Pen.
- Pen and small notebooks.
- Travel game i.e. chess, backgammon, and scrabble.
Remarkable Adventure Trek operates and runs all high altitude treks and climbs with the support of our expert and veteran guides who has been in these profession for more than two decades, all our guide have undergone with much training and attending workshop on related fields every year like Medical Course with enough knowledge of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and proper use of Gamma Bag or Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) pressure bags when required on emergency purpose on high AMS symptoms and to work on minor medical problem treatments.
Causes of Altitude Mountain Sickness:
- Altitude mountain sickness is caused by reduced of air pressure with lower oxygen levels at high altitude.
- The faster you climb to a high elevation, more likely you will get altitude or acute mountain sickness (AMS).
- Difficulty in sleeps.
- Dizziness or light-headed.
- Loss of appetite.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Rapid pulse (heart rate).
- Shortness of breath with exertion.
- Altitude mountain sickness is easier to treat in the early stage.
- The main treatment for all forms of mountain sickness is to go down (descend) towards lower altitude as fast you can with support of our guide and staff.
- Extra oxygen should be given, if available.
- People with severe altitude mountain sickness should be admitted to a hospital or evacuated by any means of transportation the fastest is by Helicopter.
- Remarkable Adventure Trek suggests you Polyacrylamide (Diamox) because this medicine helps you to feel better if you are trekking in high altitude areas.
- It also helps you to reduce mild symptoms. This medicine works best when you take it before you start gaining much higher altitude. Beside our advice please consol with your doctor.
While climbing higher elevation:
- Drink plenty of fluids (water-plain black tea-lemon-tea or nutritional value drinks).
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat a lot of garlic’s (this is local way fighting altitude).
- You should avoid high altitudes if you have heart or lung disease.
Note: In case of emergency, you will be immediately airlifted by Helicopter to Kathmandu.
Nobody knows or cares about the safety of your group better than our trekking guides because they know how to cope with the unexpected situations that occasionally arise in the high altitudes of the Himalaya. In these situations, it is vital that trekkers are flexible and listen to the guides’ directions. The trip that you are on may be affected by weather, politics, or even wildlife. Whatever the factor may be, it is possible you may have some changes in your itinerary, as the seasoned guides of Remarkable Adventure Trek decide the safest option for you. If changes must be made to your trip, our guides will work hard to stick to your original itinerary as much as possible until the change becomes unavoidable. However, Remarkable Adventure Trek will not be responsible for an outcome, resulting from bad weather, wildlife, or political situation before, during, or post trip.
WHAT MAKES THIS TRIP DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
Trek Remarkable Adventure Trek works for social causes with some non-profit organizations of Nepal, concerned with environment conservation and preservation includes street children who need better education and good normal life. We help and support for the cause with some of our profits to certain organizations so that we can make street children with sound and better life when they grow up.
We believe that education and healthy children make more stable and better future of Nepal.
For donation, Sponsorship, and Volunteering, please contact to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amazing views on daily walks in the shade of world 5th highest peaks.
- Exploring traditional Sherpa farm villages of immense Buddhist culture.
- Walking into the serene woodland of tall rhododendron-pines and oaks trees.
- Visit of remote and isolate hill village of immense old heritage and way of life.
- Adventure in the heart of world’s number five Mt. Makalu base camp.
- Scenic base camp and on the highest point within giant peaks and amazing views.
What To Expect
- Accommodation Type
- Travel Strategy
Related Trips updating soon !!.