Upper Dolpo Trek with Remarkable Adventure leads you to Nepal Far North Western Himalaya around wildest country where you can sometimes spot elusive snow leopard and herds of Blue Sheep along with beautiful views of country landscapes of rolling hills valleys and mountains including its immense local culture of Upper and Inner Dolpo villages intact with Buddhism and ancient Bonpa practices of early pre-Buddhist sects, worshipping natural spirits and mountains. Upper Dolpo a hidden country exposed to the outside world by Peter Mattessian classic and famous novel ‘Snow Leopard’ in early 1980’s and then French and Nepalese joint venture movies Caravan later changed to Himalaya made famous of the areas, which was nominated for Oscar Award in 1999 as best foreign films. Upper Dolpo trekking, truly a fascinating destinations to be once in your lifetime experience for its scenic views, interesting culture of Tibetan Buddhism and Bon traditions and its perfect wilderness, as the walk leads you to beautiful emerald and turquoise colored Phuksumdo Lake at Ringmo village, and then towards high country at Shey Gompa via high and scenic Kang-la pass at 5,350 m high to enter the Crystal Monastery or Shey Gompa in the shade of Crystal mountains, where you can explore its rich treasures of ancient idols and monastery which still exists since past hundred of centuries.
Upper Dolpo trek begins with a scenic and exciting flight from Kathmandu to Nepal Far South West at Nepalgunj city around sub-tropical areas, and then another sweeping flight takes you at Dolpo, where our adventure starts heading towards famous traditional towns and villages of Jhupal, Dunai and to Phuksumdo lake and beyond to Shey Gompa. Our long walk leads o several high passes to enter inner Dolpo areas of Somdang and Tokyu villages around beautiful Dho-Tarap villages on the old caravan route of Nepal and Tibet, journey continues heading back to Jhupal after a visit of historical fort village of Tarakot and then finally at Jhupal for scenic flight to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj, where our marvelous and magnificent Upper Dolpo Trekking completes to an end with high services and arrangement of Reliable Adventure.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300 m /4,264 ft) and transfer to hotel.
On arrival at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, received by a representative of Remarkable Adventure Trek and then transfer you to your hotel around Thamel areas in the hub of the Kathmandu city. At the hotel, our guide and staff will provide information on dos and don’ts brief you with your programs on sightseeing and trekking.
- Day 2 In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
After breakfast, leave the hotel for a sightseeing tour around famous historical places of Kathmandu guided by Remarkable Adventure Trek City guide. Morning visit of following places starting with Kathmandu Durbar Square a UNESCO World Heritage Site of Nepal, where most of the buildings that you see dated from 15th to 18th Century.The major Interesting things to see here are “Kumari (The Living Goddess) Gar” “Kastha Mandap” Maru Ganesh, Mahadev Temple, Shiva-Parvati Temple, Bhagwati Temple, Old Palace, Saraswati Temple, Krishna Octangular Temple, Big Drums, Kal Bhairav, Jagannath Temple, and Taleju Temple. Tour of Pashupatinath Temple, one of the main temples of the Hindu listed as world heritage site, situated on the bank of Bagmati River. Only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple premises, while others can view from the bank of Bagmati River, observe pilgrims and devotees worshipping and praying the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Tour of Boudhanath, one of the holiest Buddhist sites in Nepal and has four pairs of eyes. Each represents eyes of Lord Buddha. Observe people from all religions going around this stupa and spinning prayer wheels. Rest of the day free preparation for Upper Dolpo Trekking and with an early departure from the hotel for scenic flight to Nepal Far West and onward.
- Day 3 Fly to Nepalgunj on Nepal Far South West and transfer to hotel.
Depart from the hotel as per the flight time to Nepalgunj, where a scenic and panoramic flight of 50 minutes takes you to Nepal Far South West at Nepalgunj, a city of great Indian influence and with warm temperatures as it touches with Indian state of UP (Utter Pradesh), an interesting city to explore in the afternoon time before we fly to Jhupal at Dolpo next early morning.
- Day 4 Fly to Jhupal 2,475 m then drive to Dunai 2,140 m - 02 hrs.
Early breakfast for another short connecting flight to Jhupal in Dolpo, on reaching Jhupal after 40 minutes on air, received by our trekking staff that has traveled here taking a long overland drive and walks, from Jhupal at present a motor road has been constructed connecting Dunai the main headquarter town of Dolpa area. From Jhupal a short drive of more than an hour rides to Dunai for an overnight stop, in the comfort of nice local lodge, afternoon walk around Dunai town an interesting place to observe its culture and way of daily life.
- Day 5 Trek to Chhepka 2,838 m - 06 hrs.
After overnight in Dunai, morning walk past market crossing a bridge over Thulo Bheri River and then climb over a ridge to Phoksumdo River valley with views of Kagmara peak, from here trek leads downhill passing farm villages with walnut trees close to a stream at Dhera, a small cattle herders settlements, from here a short climb to Rahagaon village of Thakuri a Hindu local tribe, then downhill walk into forested area to reach overnight camp at Chhepka a small farm village.
- Day 6 Trek to Samdua village 2,960m -06 hrs.
From Chhepka near Ankhe area, morning walk with short climb and descend through forest reaching a river bank, from here climb on leaving the forest, from the top walk downhill to forested area leading upstream to cross a small bridge at Ryajik village, trek further to Samdua for overnight stop near the entrance of Phoksumdo National Park.
- Day 7 Trek to Phoksumdo Lake 3,630 m - 06 hours.
Morning walk leads to our first destination at Phoksumdo Lake after Pungmo Khola valley and crossing streams, following Pungmo Khola downhill into pine and birch trees to reach at upper side of Phoksumdo Khola, after a short break continue to walk to Ringmo village, an interesting village of Tibetan origin with mud plastered chortens and Mani (prayer) walls. From here a short walk to Phoksumdo Lake for overnight camp by the shore of beautiful turquoise Phoksumdo Lake.
- Day 8 Rest day at Phoksumdo Lake for local excursion.
An ideal spot for a rest day, marvel the beautiful views of surrounding landscapes and peaks of Kagmara, or visit interesting Ringmo village and walk by the lakeside.
- Day 9 Trek to Phokshumdo-Khola 3,750 m- 05 hrs.
From this lovely place morning walk starts to higher area of upper Dolpo region to our another highlight and final destination of this awesome journey walk follows to contour around rocky ledge over the river bank on the unsteady path, then approaching at the western side the lake through a summer pasture which opens into a wide plain of Phuksumdo Khola for the overnight camp by the river shore.
- Day 10 Trek to Phuksumdo Bhanjyang 4,717 m - 04 hrs.
After a nice walk of previous day, today’s morning trek begins on a good path leading northern area of Phuksumdo Khola and then walking up on the hill slopes, after a steep uphill to reach at a ridge top with impressive scenery of wide green valley and looking over Kang-La pass that leads to Shey Gompa, setting the camp for the night stop on this nice green summer pasture.
- Day 11 Cross Kang-la (Nangdalo-la) 5,350 m and trek to Shey Gompa 4,160 m via -06 hrs.
Morning walk starts to our main destination at Shey Gompa which the highlights of this adventure after Phuksumdo Lake trek continues with a climb on stone and rocky path to cross Nangdalo-la pass at 5,350 meters, the high point of this adventure. The top offers super views of landscapes with snow clad peaks including Mt. Dhaulagiri. After reaching the top ridge, descend to the bottom of the hill leading to the river then across cattle herder camps, after a short stop continue towards Buddhist prayer monument Chortens and Mani, from here a nice walk to Shey Gompa located beneath Crystal Mountain regarded as a Holy Mountain with an old monastery nearby.
- Day 12 Rest day at Shey Gompa the crystal monastery.
A perfect place for the rest day in this high mountain area, in the harmony of nature and chanting of monks, visit Shey Monastery also known Crystal Monastery, this area is well described in the novel Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen.
- Day 13 Trek to Namgung 4,608 m via Sela (Gela) La 5,094m.
From this wonderful place, our journey continuous into a wall canyon, trail meanders atop Sela or Gela-la at 5,094 m offering great views of landscapes and of Mt. Dhaulagiri peaks, downhill on the grazing area with pleasant walk to Namgung Gaon for overnight stop.
- Day 14 Trek to Namgung 4,608 m via Sela (Gela) La 5,094m.
After a stop in this village walk on dusty windswept terrain, leading to steep uphill to reach our overnight camp at Saldang, another impressive large village of the region, situated higher side of the plateau.
- Day 15 Trek to Chagaon 4,910 m - 05 hrs.
From here, morning walk following river Nang chu all the way with short ups and down and then passing Sugugaon and Dechen Lapran a cattle herders settlement, and then heading to our overnight camp at Chagoan village with an old Rapa Gompa of pre Buddhist and ancient Bon-Pa culture.
- Day 16 Trek to Dachu Khola camp at 4,700 m - 06 hrs.
Morning walk south towards Tarap valley around Tokyu and Dho Tarap village, then taking southern direction to reach Dachu Khola and beyond, after crossing the same trail following river through farm fields, and then walk into Yak herder areas for overnight camp.
- Day 17 Trek and cross Jyanta-La at 5,220 m and walk to Phedi 4,900 m - 06 hrs.
After nice stop in this summer pasture area walk follows the river for short while, and then encountering yaks and mules laden caravan on route Tibet, trade with Tibet exists since hundreds of years, and this walking route lies on the old Trans-Himalayan Caravan Route. From the base of Jyanta-la, morning starts with steep climb to reach the top of the pass with views of massive Mt. Dhaulagiri range, from here a long descend to the base of the pass on route Tokyu village.
- Day 18 Trek to Tokyu Gaon 4,209 m via Jeng la 5,090m-06 hrs.
After a steep climb an easy walk today for hours reaching at Tokyu gaon for overnight, this is one of the most impressive and interesting village of Dolpo area, consist of more than ten villages and nice tended farm fields with old monasteries.
- Day 19 Trek to Dho Tarap 3, 944 m- 05 hrs.
After Tokyugaon, morning starts with downhill walk towards Tarap Chu on broader green valley, this is one of the scenic wide valleys with lots of Sheppard’s settlements of Yaks and Sheep, and walk continues to our overnight camp at Dho Tarap, this is another interesting village with mix tribes of Tibetans origin and Magar hill tribe people.
- Day 20 Trek to Ghyamgar 3,759 m - 07 hrs.
From here a long descend to Tarap valley, one of the largest and longest valley of Dolpo area which is about 20 k.m. which stretches following Tarap Chu River most of the way to joins with Thuli Bheri River near Tarakot village, walk leads past Langa with beautiful cascading waterfalls heading due south following the trail after Sisaul and small place of Kesila around Yak herders temporary camps to reach our overnight camp at Ghyamgar.
- Day 21 Trek to Tarap Khola 3,652 via Chhyugar 3,440 m - 06 hours.
Today walks on Tarap nice valley, as the trail enter into a narrow gorge with some vegetation of bushes of juniper and wild rose, walk leads past Toltol with a large overhanging cave, around this area might see some wild life like Naur or Blue Sheep and other animals. As the walk progress reaching a confluence of River Tarap Chu and Lang Khola, overnight camp by the river after a long day walk of about 6 hours.
- Day 22 Trek to Tarakot 2,540 m - 06 hrs.
Start morning walk passing smaller villages and then into a small wooded area, following river all the way at Tarakot, a large and interesting village with old history and well maintained terraced farm fields, Tarakot with an old historical fortress (Dzong or Kot) guarding the village. Tarakot village houses famous old Sandul Gomba located at the junction of Barbung Khola and Tarap Chu River where the overnight camp is placed.
- Day 23 Trek to Dunai - 05 hrs then drive to Jhupal - 02 hr jeep ride.
After a great time at Tarakot, our last day walk leads to Dunai for short while and then taking a short drive to Jhupal for the flight back to Kathmandu. The morning starts following many spreads out villages and farmers huts, walking on a wider trail with some short uphill and downhill towards Thuli Bheri River valley to reach at Dunai, on reaching Dunai time permitting having lunch. From here jeeps drive to Jhupal to catch our next morning flight to Nepalgunj.
- Day 24 Fly to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotel.
Morning board on a smaller aircraft for short flight to Nepalgunj, on reaching Nepalgunj, transfer to another flight back to Kathmandu with views of mountains during 50 mins flight, on reaching Kathmandu transfer to your hotels.
- Day 25 In Kathmandu free day with an optional sightseeing tour.
Remarkable Adventure Trek reserves this day as contingency day in case of flight delay at Dolpo due to bad weather and with the nature of trekking on Upper Dolpo, as Himalayan weather pattern can be unpredictable with unfavorable heavy cloudy days, if all goes well as per the itinerary you can enjoy as free day for individual activities and shopping souvenirs or book for another interesting sight-seeing tour around Kathmandu-Patan and Bhaktapur.
- Day 26 International departure for homeward bound.
Your last day in amazing Nepal country of Himalayan wonders, as per your flight time transfer for your international flight with fond memory and excellent time on Upper Dolpo Trekking and great service of Remarkable Adventure.
Cost Information1. What's Includes
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private tourist vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a three-star hotel in Kathmandu; Breakfast included.
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private tourist vehicle.
- All your standard Meals (Breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners) during the trek.
- Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trek.
- Remarkable Adventure Treks’ local licensed holder English speaking guide.
- The required number of local staff and porters to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staffs.
- Upper Mustang Entry permit and TIMS permit for trekking.
- Down Jacket and sleeping bag by Remarkable Adventure Trek (which need to be returned after the trek).
- Surface transfer from and to Kathmandu.
- Free Remarkable Adventure Trek duffel/kit bag (yours to keep).
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu on the second day.
- Farewell dinner in typical Nepali Restaurant with cultural show.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges and official expenses.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Items of a personal nature (personal trekking gear, beverages,the internet, laundry, bottled water, etc).
- Tips for trekking staffs.
- Extra night accommodation (early arrival, late departures due to weathers, and any others reasons).
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section
Date & Availability
Frequenty Asked Question's
Trip Equipment & Packaging List
For your trip preparations Remarkable Adventure Trek provides you with related information and advice required for your adventure holiday trip in and around Nepal Himalaya and beyond, providing you with following equipment list for the trekking. If it’s too much to carry from your home country some of the necessary equipment can be hired or bought in Kathmandu around at Thamel or in Pokhara as well. Most of the equipment is general and standard lists for all seasons while on the trek but may differ as per the season and duration of trekking and areas of your chosen trip.
- Sun hat or scarf.
- Light balaclava or warm fleece headgear.
- Sun Glasses and snow goggles with UV protection.
For Lower Body:
- Under Garments.
- Hiking shorts.
- Lightweight cotton long pants.
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms.
- Fleece or wool pants (seasonal).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants.
- Thin, lightweight inner socks.
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks.
- Hiking boots with spare laces.
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals).
- Gaiters for hiking in winter to the base camp.
For Upper Body:
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket or pullover.
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket.
- Down vest and/or jacket.
- Lightweight gloves.
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer (seasonal).
- Sleeping bag rated to zero DC (4 seasons down sleeping bags).
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries.
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag.
- Basic First Aid Kit.
- Large plastic bags – for keeping items dry inside your kit/duffel bag.
- Daypack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches / 10-15 liters / kgs capacity).
- Trekking Poles (optional).
- Water bottle (2) or cameo bag.
- Toiletries (Small wash towel, Toilet papers etc).
- Ear Plug (who know some people on a group are snoring) as optional.
- 1 medium sized quick-drying towel.
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable).
- Multipurpose soaps (preferably biodegradable).
- Nail clippers.
- Face and body moisturizer.
- Feminine hygiene products.
- Small mirror.
On Personal Hygiene:
- Wet wipes (baby wipes).
- Tissue /toilet roll.
- Anti-bacterial hands wash.
Extra Luxuries as optional:
- Reading book.
- Trail Map/Guidebook.
- Journal & Pen.
- Pen and small notebooks.
- Travel game i.e. chess, backgammon, and scrabble.
Remarkable Adventure Trek operates and runs all high altitude treks and climbs with the support of our expert and veteran guides who has been in these profession for more than two decades, all our guide have undergone with much training and attending workshop on related fields every year like Medical Course with enough knowledge of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and proper use of Gamma Bag or Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) pressure bags when required on emergency purpose on high AMS symptoms and to work on minor medical problem treatments.
Causes of Altitude Mountain Sickness:
- Altitude mountain sickness is caused by reduced of air pressure with lower oxygen levels at high altitude.
- The faster you climb to a high elevation, more likely you will get altitude or acute mountain sickness (AMS).
- Difficulty in sleeps.
- Dizziness or light-headed.
- Loss of appetite.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Rapid pulse (heart rate).
- Shortness of breath with exertion.
- Altitude mountain sickness is easier to treat in the early stage.
- The main treatment for all forms of mountain sickness is to go down (descend) towards lower altitude as fast you can with support of our guide and staff.
- Extra oxygen should be given, if available.
- People with severe altitude mountain sickness should be admitted to a hospital or evacuated by any means of transportation the fastest is by Helicopter.
- Remarkable Adventure Trek suggests you Polyacrylamide (Diamox) because this medicine helps you to feel better if you are trekking in high altitude areas.
- It also helps you to reduce mild symptoms. This medicine works best when you take it before you start gaining much higher altitude. Beside our advice please consol with your doctor.
While climbing higher elevation:
- Drink plenty of fluids (water-plain black tea-lemon-tea or nutritional value drinks).
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat a lot of garlic’s (this is local way fighting altitude).
- You should avoid high altitudes if you have heart or lung disease.
Note: In case of emergency, you will be immediately airlifted by Helicopter to Kathmandu.
Nobody knows or cares about the safety of your group better than our trekking guides because they know how to cope with the unexpected situations that occasionally arise in the high altitudes of the Himalaya. In these situations, it is vital that trekkers are flexible and listen to the guides’ directions. The trip that you are on may be affected by weather, politics, or even wildlife. Whatever the factor may be, it is possible you may have some changes in your itinerary, as the seasoned guides of Remarkable Adventure Trek decide the safest option for you. If changes must be made to your trip, our guides will work hard to stick to your original itinerary as much as possible until the change becomes unavoidable. However, Remarkable Adventure Trek will not be responsible for an outcome, resulting from bad weather, wildlife, or political situation before, during, or post trip.
WHAT MAKES THIS TRIP DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
Trek Remarkable Adventure Trek works for social causes with some non-profit organizations of Nepal, concerned with environment conservation and preservation includes street children who need better education and good normal life. We help and support for the cause with some of our profits to certain organizations so that we can make street children with sound and better life when they grow up.
We believe that education and healthy children make more stable and better future of Nepal.
For donation, Sponsorship, and Volunteering, please contact to email@example.com
- Adventure on Far West Himalaya in the country of Bon-pa ancient sect of pre-Buddhism.
- Views of high snow clad mountains on daily walks with dramatic landscapes scenery.
- Visiting high country and traditional Dolpo villages of immense Buddhist culture and custom.
- Enchanting lovely alpine woodland of tall rhododendron-magnolia-firs-pines and fir trees.
- Walking around both side of high and inner Dolpo with incredible views of snow-capped peaks.
- Explore beautiful Phuksumdo lake and towards high hidden areas at Shey Gompa.
What To Expect
- Accommodation Type
- Travel Strategy
Related Trips updating soon !!.